Sunday, June 1, 2008

Residency at last but still more forms and photographs

My residency came through on Wednesday, so now have a visa for the next 12 months. As I said in a recent blog, with residency you can do the things we would take for granted being on the UK. I opened a bank account, and began the process of getting my UAE driving license. Opening the bank account was straight forward enough, the branch is in the exhibition centre where our office is so, right on my doorstep. All I needed to do was sign and few forms, was given my account number and in a couple of days would have access to Internet banking and have my cashpoint and debit card. A simple enough process, or so you'd think. Popped in today to check if my salary had been paid, and it had, but into my pals account. The bank had given me my pals account number, which I gave to HR and they paid my salary into. The banks reaction? They just laughed about it! Anyway, lucky I know who's account it's in so it will get sorted.

The driving license application is an whole new experience. Firstly had to have my UK license translated into Arabic at a cost of 50dirhams (7 quid ish). This was done, apparently everything translated properly, but the only bit that wasn't translated, the license number, which was just copied, but was copied incorrectly. So back it goes to get changed. In the meantime I had to get a letter from my employer, and then down to police HQ, for more form filling, more copies of your passport, more photos, an eye test, another photo taken and bingo! An hour and a half later I am the proud holder of a UAE driving license!

Takes a bit of time, can be very bureaucratic, as well as frustrating, but it's worth it to just get the small things you are used to and take for granted.

No comments: