Saturday, June 21, 2008

Business as usual

I was chatting earlier this week to my mate from the navy and telling him how safe I felt over here. Walking around late at night, whether in a busy part of town or down a dark secluded alleyway, I'd never felt vulnerable or at risk, not like I do back home in some parts of Birmingham. And though we are in the Middle East, there was no feeling of risk of terrorism. He just kept quite and looked at me as if to say, that's not the case, but I can't say anything!

The next day, a news story on the Beeb website said the Foreign Office had increased the threat of terrorism level in the UAE to high, story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7456547.stm. And a subsequent email from the British Embassy said "It is more a case of higher vigilance - there is no specific threat to British interests."

So what do you do? It's simple, you just carry on. What has become apparent over the last 7 years is the threat is everywhere, and if it's not high now, it may be one day and vica versa. You can't let it control your life, where you go and what you do. The only other thing you can do is follow the British Embassy advise, and be that little bit more vigilant, but I'm not sure I know what to look out for!

No comments: